(3) MOUNTAIN TOP EXPRESS (DOPPELMAYR) - This lift was built in 1986 as 1of Vail's first 3 high speed quads.
(4) WILDWOOD EXPRESS (CTEC/GARAVENTA) - This lift was built in 1995 to replace the Yan built Hunky Dory quad.
(5) HIGH NOON (DOPPELMAYR) - This lift was built by Doppelmayr in 1979. In 1998 the top drive was completely
re-built after being burned by eco-terrorists.
(11) NORTHWOODS EXPRESS (DOPPELMAYR) - This lift was built by Doppelmayr in 1986 as part of Vail's massive
foray into the high speed lift world.
(14) SOURDOUGH (YAN/DOPPELMAYR) - This lift was originally built by Yan in 1975. It was upgraded later by Doppelmayr
with new carriers, sheaves and tower arms. It provides access to the Two Elks Lodge.
(17) SUN UP (DOPPELMAYR) - This triple chair was installed in 1992.
(21) ORIENT EXPRESS (DOPPELMAYR) - Built in 1988 this lift opened up a vast expanse of Vail's back bowl terrain.
(23) WEST WALL (POMA) - This tow was installed in 2000 to make the traverse from the top of the Tea Cup and Sun Up
lifts to the Two Elk lodge easier.
(36) TEA CUP EXPRESS (POMA) - Built in 1999 this lift allows skiers to quickly return from Blue Sky basin to the fronside.
(37) SKYLINE EXPRESS LIFT (POMA) - Built in 1999 this lift serves as the primary access to Blue Sky Basin.
(38) EARL'S EXPRESS LIFT (POMA) - Built in 1999 this lift runs up Earl's bowl.
(1) GIANT STEPS (RIBLET) - Built in 1962 as Lift 1, it was finally retired in 2006.
(16) VISTA BAHN (DOPPELMAYR) - Built in 1985 as a bubble quad, the Vista Bahn had its bubbles removed for the
2004-05 season. They had become too scratched and the lift now runs better in higher winds. The chair was replaced
in 2012 with a new gondola.
(19) LIONSHEAD GONDOLA (BELL/VON ROLL) - Originally constructed in in 1969 as Vail's second gondola. After a
bad accident in 1976 the lift was retrofitted by Von Roll The accident on the Lionshead Gondola occured in March, 1976.
According to Eric of Denver, the cause was a frayed track cable that made 3 or four cars get tangled on tower #5. Two
of the cars fell and a third was left hanging by a thread of steel. The CWA cabins are the original cars but they had new arms and
wheel carriages installed. The towers were re-configured at the top so that the haul cable would not be able to cut through the
arm if a similar accident occurred.
(1) VAIL GONDOLA (BELL) - Built for the mountain's opening in 1961 this 4 person lift ran until 1976. Similar engineering
flaws to Lionshead were recognized. This combined with limited uphill capacity, the aging lift was replaced with 2 Riblet double chairs.
The last photo shows the original gondola station, now one of the most famous apartments in Vail which has been owned by several