WILLOUGHBY QUAD (CTEC) - This chair was built in the late 80's to replace a Hall double chair. You may notice
that the pylons on the towers are narrower than most CTEC chairs. This is because the original pylons from the double
chair were reused.
SHERBURNE HSQ (POMA-LEITNER) - The Sherburne High Speed Quad was built by Poma/Leitner in 2005 for the
Ginn Company, the new owners of Burke Mountain. Poma utilized the original Hall towers for the lift and installed
new cross arms and hardware. The summit terminal was moved slightly downhill from the original double terminus to
allow for novice skiers and riders to take the new Midway Trail to the Willoughby Quad. Ride time has been cut from
almost 12 minutes to about 4 minutes and the lift climbs 563 vertical feet. It is approximately 3,800 feet long and has 61 chairs.
J-BAR (HALL) - Originaly installed in 1966 as a T-bar, it was relocated and installed as a J-bar most likely around 1978.
POMA (POMA) - This lift is the original lift and was erected in late 1955 and opened in early 1956. It was erected mainly
by hand. The lift ran to the summit of Burke and terminated at a point near the current Ski Patrol Cabin at the top of the mountain.
The lift followed The Shoot trail to the summit. In 1966 the lift was shortened to make way for the new Summit Double Chair. It
remained in this configuration until 1993, when the lift was extended to its current terminus, just below the Toll Road climbing
almost 1,100 vertical feet. Poma installed the current summit terminal (Picture 4), salvaged some of the Dipper Poma Towers for
the upper section, and installed the turn tower about half way up the lift (as seen in Picture 3). The lift currently operates six
days a week and is open to the public. It still serves Burke Mountain Academy’s race training efforts. Skiers can depart the lift
at either the turn tower (as is done in early season) or at the summit. The last section is very steep and a very challenging ride!
It serves great skiing on two thirds of the mountain in under five minutes.
SUMMIT DOUBLE (HALL) - This Hall double chair was built in 1966, it's pylons remain in use on the Willoughby Quad.
LOWER DOUBLE (HALL) - A second Hall double was added at Burke in 1978 to service four new slopes. This chair was
built to be a double/double, but the second half was never completed. It was replaced for the 2005-06 season with a HS Quad.
Several of these pictures were taken by frequent contributor Michael Stahler during the summer of 2005 as the lift was being dismantled.
Thank you Michael S. for pictures 1,3,4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ,9,10, 11, 12, 13, and 14 and lift information.