SILVER QUEEN GONDOLA (POMA) - Built in 1986 The gondola was rebuilt by Leitner/Poma in 2006 with
new CWA cabins and modified Drive and Return stations. The Gondola originally had Poma eggshell type
cabins where skiers would sit back to back.
Lift 1A (SLI) - Now called The Shadow Mountain lift, it was originally called lift 1A because it replaced
the original Heron single chair (Lift 1) in 1971. The lift was upgraded with Riblet sheaves and clips
Bell Mountain (Riblet/Poma) - A true frankenlift this double uses Riblet center pole carriers, drive, clips,
and sheaves paired with Poma towers and return terminal. The Poma hydraulic tension terminal and towers replaced
original Riblet equiptment 1985 and all chairs were galvanized.
F.I.S. (Leitner-Poma) - This new double replaced the former F.I.S. Riblet double in 2004.
Ruthie's (POMA) - Built in 1997 to replace the original Ruthie's Double Chair, Poma built this high speed double with triple
carriers. In order to preserve the character of the area the mountain only loads the chair as a double.
LITTLE NELL (RIBLET) - This Riblet double originaly installed in 1956 was replaced with a
Poma Quad in 1986. The lift had a capacity of 900 skiers per hour. This lift serviced
the "practice slope".
CHAIR 1 (AMERICAN STEEL & WIRE/HERON) - Originally billed as the longest chairlift in the world when opened in 1947. Originally built as a Bi-cable lift.
It was later re-engineered by Bob Heron with sheaves and normal grips.
"Construction on Aspen’s first chairlifts was completed in December 1946 with opening ceremonies held 11 January 1947. The “world’s longest ski lift” was actually two
separate lifts; No. 1, base to Midway, (length 8,480 ft., vertical rise 2,574 ft.) and No. 2, Midway to Sundeck (length 5,210 ft., vertical rise 713 ft.) Total length
was just over 2.5 miles. Built by American Steel and Wire, they were installed by Heron Engineering Co. A trip from the base to the Sundeck took about 30 minutes, excluding
time spent in long lift lines. Heavy, orange canvas coats were attachedto the single chairs for protection on cold, windy days. No. 1 held out till 1971 when it was replaced
by two overlapping SLI (Ski Lift International) double chairs, 1A (Shadow Mountain) and 1B (or 8)(Ruthies)." -Bill Fetcher
The bottom station and towers shown in the first picture still stand today as a town park.
ORIGINAL CHAIR 2 (AMERICAN STEEL & WIRE/HERON) - "No. 2 began life as a mine tram, converted and relocated to serve the upper reaches of Ajax. It was a
bi-cable system; stationary track rope, moving haul rope and two-wheel carriages on each chair. Such a system is used where there are long (and invariably high)
spans between towers and No. 2 had one, 85 feet, over Tourtelotte Park. This was the scariest part of the whole ride, made all the scarier because you were by
yourself. You felt as though you were being launched into space, though any silence associated with this was broken by the ominous buzzing of the chair carriage
on the track rope overhead. No. 2 was a bottleneck, caused by people skiing the upper mountain, namely Buckhorn Run joining those unloading from No. 1. It was
replaced in 1958 by a Riblet double chair. In recent years it was removed entirely; slack apparently taken up by No. 3, Spar Gulch to Sundeck, now a high-speed quad."
CHAIR 2 (RIBLET) - This chair began near the summit of Ruthie's lift and ran up to
the sundeck at Ajax. There is no longer a lift that follow this line.
CHAIR 3 (HERON) - This chair followed a similar line to the current Ajax Express. This opened up a
great deal of Aspen's high elevation terrain as skiers who went beyond the Dipsey Doodle trail no longer
had to hike back to chair 2.
FIS DOUBLE CHAIR (RIBLET) - The original FIS chair was replaced in 2004 with the current FIS Double chair.
Pics 5-9 thanks to Bob Delaney. Information thanks to Bill Fetcher.